Dietitians who make significant and ongoing contributions to the UBC Dietetics Major through preceptor, practice education coordination or classroom teaching roles are eligible to apply for a UBC Clinical Instructor appointment with the Faculty of Land and Food Systems (LFS). These are non-paid Faculty appointments with UBC.
To be eligible for a Clinical Instructor appointment, you cannot already hold a paid teaching appointment at UBC. Applicants must be registered with the College of Dietitians of British Columbia.
You must meet at least one of, or an equivalent combination of, the following criteria over the past 12 months with the expectation of a continued role:
a) Core site coordinator or co-coordinator at a British Columbia health authority-based dietetic practice education site;
b) Preceptor: minimum of 3 weeks per year as primary or co-supervisor of a UBC practice education module experience, including responsibility for student evaluation (minimum of 2 years of ongoing involvement);
c) Classroom educator within campus courses and/or practice education: minimum 6 hours per year (minimum of 2 years of ongoing involvement)
A call for applications occurs in the spring of each year. Subscribe to the Preceptor Interest Group Listserv to ensure you receive a notice when new applications are being accepted.
To apply for a new Clinical Instructor appointment OR to renew your current appointment:
The 2019 application period is currently closed. The next opportunity to apply is spring 2020.
- Determine your eligibility (See "Am I eligible for an appointment?" above.
- Complete the applicable online application form, available at the link below:
- Available spring 2020
- For both new and renewal appointments, prepare a UBC CV using the blank template and CV guidelines below. Email to the Dietetics Program Assistant at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Available spring 2020
UBC faculty are subject to all UBC Policies. You are responsible for familiarizing yourself and complying with the content of these Policies.
- Ability to use the title, UBC Clinical Instructor.
- Obtain a UBC Card, UBC’s official identification document. Contact LFS Faculty Liaison Melanie Train, email@example.com, to request your UBC ID and CWL PIN, and then apply for a Campus Wide Login (CWL), which is needed to apply for a UBC Card. Your CWL and UBC card can then be used to access a variety of services including the UBC Library, Centre for Teaching, Learning and Technology programs, and UBC Faculty and Staff Perks.
In order to process a name change, UBC HR requires that you submit a scanned copy of your social insurance card to LFS Faculty Liaison, Melanie Train, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that we cannot accept other pieces of identification (i.e., marriage certificate).
There are two places where you may wish to update your contact information to ensure you receive all UBC communications in a timely manner.
- The UBC Dietetics Program maintains a Clinical Instructors listserv which uses your health authority email address. To update this at any time, please contact Kiran Kalkat, email@example.com.
- The UBC HR system typically defaults to using the UBC email address that has been assigned to you as your primary email address. If you are unlikely to check this email account, you may wish to log into your UBC CWL account to update this information. If you have not done so already, you can set up your CWL account by contacting LFS Faculty Liaison Melanie Train, firstname.lastname@example.org, to request your UBC ID and CWL PIN. You can then apply for a CWL account.
LFS Clinical Instructor are typically appointed for 3 years.
Clinical Instructors whose appointments are coming up to their expiry date are alerted via email in the spring. Please note that new appointments and renewals are approved once a year. For this reason it is important to watch for this email in your inbox, and take the necessary steps to apply for renewal in order to maintain your appointment status.