1. From the YouTube website, click upload. Select the File you wish to upload.
When uploading large files (e.g. HD videos that are over 5 minutes long), it is best to use an Ethernet cable instead of wireless internet. This will reduce the risk of the upload being interrupted and speed the uploading process. Uploading videos can take several hours.
2. Create a title and description of the video.
The title is important as it will determine where the video shows up in a Google/YouTube search, so ensure it is specific
The description should be concise and give a brief overview of your video topic
3. Add relevant tags for the video to help people find it. Some examples are UBC, Dietetics, Student Created Resources, Education, Orientation, etc.
4. Edit the Privacy settings - You can make your videos public, private or unlisted. This video gives instructions for how to manage privacy settings.
5. YouTube will automatically generate 3 thumbnails for your video. The thumbnail is the picture that shows up when people see the link. Keep in mind that this will be the first visual people see.
6. If embedding the videointo a website, click on "Share" below the video:
Click "Embed", and then "SHOW MORE"
Deselect "show suggested videos"
Select the dimensions of the embedded video
Copy the embedding code, and paste it into the website page you are editing. Make sure you paste the link under the “text” version (rather than the “visual” version) of the webpage edits. This is where coding shows so the video will show up as desired. If you paste the link under the visual tab it will only show up as text on the website.
Platforms that host all media:
- UBC Wiki: create a page that can be embedded in other places, such as WordPress