Overview of Admissions Timeline
NOTE: Admissions packages get posted by late September each year for the upcoming admissions cycle. Please always be sure you are using admissions documents for the correct admissions cycle.
|January 15th||Deadline to apply online to the B.Sc. Food Nutrition and Health (BSFN) Program|
|Last Fri in Jan||Deadline for submitting online application.|
|Early April||Applicants will be informed of their short-listing status|
|Late April – Early May||Virtual interviews for shortlisted candidates (specific date to be announced at the time of applicant shortlisting)|
|Late May||Applicants will be informed by email of their admission status.|
|NOTE: Admission deferrals are not possible. Your acceptance is valid only for the year that you applied.|
Before you Apply
All prospective applicants should carefully review the Dietetics Major Calendar Entry and take steps prior to applying to consider whether dietetics is an appropriate career choice for them.
Ensure you meet the admission requirements
- Refer to Admission Requirements to complete this step.
Investigate the profession
- Conduct online research, starting with some basic information about the profession.
- Seek exposure to dietitian roles and familiarize yourself with the common areas of practice of dietitians. Applicants who have spent time learning about the role of a dietitian are typically able to convey their understanding of and assessment of personal fit with the profession better than those who have not had such exposure. See FAQ #4 for ways to connect with dietitians.
Investigate the program
- Familiarize yourself with the Program’s structure and requirements, review the Dietetics Major academic calendar entry and program website.
- Ensure you have thoroughly read and reviewed the application process including the application package documents prior to completing your application.
- Review the Dietetics Program Policies and Procedures, including the Required Skills and Abilities document.
Obtain relevant experience
- Successful applicants to the Dietetics Major have varied academic, employment, volunteer and personal histories. No one particular set of experiences will guarantee your entry into the program.
- Seek experiences that assist in the achievement of indicators of commitment to and suitability for the profession of dietetics as outlined in “Non-academic Application Components” the UBC Academic Calendar. When preparing your cover letter and resume, rather than just providing position titles, it is important to highlight relevant skills achieved and attributes demonstrated.
- Experience in hospital food services, though not essential for program acceptance, can be beneficial for increasing your knowledge of how hospital food services systems operate and for gaining understanding of the roles of dietitians in institutional settings. This experience also provides exposure to the hospital environment, the setting for most of the Program’s practice education experiences.
- NOTE: It can be difficult for pre-program students to obtain job shadowing opportunities at health authority sites, due to organizational policies and/or dietitian scheduling constraints. Dietitians unable to accommodate job shadowing requests may be willing to participate in an informational interview to discuss their role. See FAQ #4 for ways to connect with dietitians.
Attend the Prospective Student Information Sessions
- Visit the prospective student session page for information about upcoming sessions and to view video recordings of past sessions.
How to Apply
1. Apply to UBC to enter the BSc in Food Nutrition and Health (BSFN) Program
If you aren’t already a student in this program, you must apply to UBC to enter the program, no later than January 15 in the year of application.
2. Obtain a Dietetics Applicant Number
Prior to assembling your written application package, obtain a Dietetics Application Number (link will be added in the fall of 2021). This process requires you to have a campus-wide login, UBC student number, and UBC alumni email address. If you have not yet obtained these, as a first step, please apply to UBC to enter the BSc in Food Nutrition and Health (BSFN) Program.
Enter your Dietetics Applicant Number on the top right corner of every page of every document submitted as part of your application, and instruct your referees to do the same.
2022 Applicant Info Package will be posted in the fall of 2021.
4. Submit online application by the deadline
Dietetics Major online application must be submitted no later than 4pm PST on the last Friday of January. (For 2022 this the deadline is January 28th).